It's Time - Christ Our Rest
CHRIST OUR REST – MATTHEW 11:28-30
Come – Jesus’s favourite word
Come to me – an invitation to a personal relationship
I will give you – a definite and trustworthy promise
Rest –a spiritual blessing and a rich biblical word – Psalm 62, Isaiah 9:4, Revelation 14:12. A similar gift is Christ’s peace – John 14:25-27
Who is invited? “All who are weary and burdened”. All welcome
What burdens did Jeus lift in his earthly ministry? Guilt and shame; fear; despair; false religion - Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them. Luke 11:46.; a sense of worthlessness; demonic oppression. Jesus brought release, deliverance, freedom, hope and joy.
Consider the character of the one who invites you – meek and lowly in heart
- His warm welcome
- His gentleness – “ A bruised reed he will not break, and a smouldering wick he will not snuff out” - chapter 12:20
- His compassion – his most frequent emotion.
- His majesty and uniqueness
- His sincerity and trustworthiness
Our burdens – the guilt of our sins and the requirement to lead a life of perfect righteousness. Jesus bore your burden of law-keeping in his perfect life and your burden of law-breaking in his atoning sacrifice on the cross. Be free!
Ephesians 2:10 -For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. good works are no longer a burden but an expression of loving service.
How do we enter into ever-deepening enjoyment of Christ’s rest?
Take my yoke upon you and learn of me – what does this mean?
The yoke – placed upon working oxen – a symbol of work, mastery, submission, service
Our burdens come from wearing the wrong yoke – Christ removes it
My yoke – Jesus places on us the same yoke He is wearing in his submission to God the Father. He places it on us as we completely submit to his authority.
Easy and light – the word means “well-fitting” – the right fit for us because Christ’s service is perfect freedom; it is the life for which we were made.
Learn of me – enjoying Christ’s rest in the demands of life is an experience of life-long learning as we walk with him and are taught by him. Eg Philippians 4:11-13 - the apostle Paul held on remand for 2 years had learned to be content.
Anxiety and fear – How do we find rest from these if we come to Christ?
- you will have his firm, steadfast, unfailing love and friendship
- You will discover that God loves you. ie he is for you and working all things for your good – Romans 8:28
- God is in control of your circumstances right down to the very last detail - Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
- You have a mighty God who hears and answers prayer
- 1st Peter 5:7 - casting all your care upon him for he cares for you
Jesus is longing for all who are bearing crushing burdens to come and find complete rest in Him. Cast your burden on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall. Psalm 55:22
Like a river glorious is God’s perfect peace; over all victorious in its bright increase. Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day. Perfect, yet it growth deeper all the way.
Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest. Finding, as He promised, Perfect peace and rest.
Make that your testimony - come to Jesus with your burdens now.